23 August 2007

Just Call Me Dubya [Ahab?]


I was looking at some quotes on IMDB from the movie "Moby Dick" and they struck me with their 'universality':
Starbuck: "A captain who, from private motives, employs his vessel [i.e., the military] for another purpose [revenge against Saddam & crony capitalism] from that intended by the owners [we, the people], is answerable to the charge of usurpation, and his crew is morally and legally entitled to employ forceful means in wresting his command from him. "



Ahab: From hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee. Ye damned whale. [i.e., Saddam]
Starbuck: It is our task in life to kill whales, to furnish oil for the lamps of the world. If we perform that task well and faithfully, we do a service to mankind that pleases Almighty God. Ahab would deny all that. He has taken us from the rich harvest we were reaping to satisfy his lust for vengeance [i.e., revenge on Saddam]

Ahab: I don't give reasons. I give orders! [The Decider. not the Divider]

Ishmael [i.e., we, the groundlings]: Ehhhh, you can't fool us; it's the easiest thing in the world for a man to look as if he's got a great secret in him.

But from "The Madness of King George" came:
Queen Charlotte [i.e., Tom Hicks] : Come on, smile and wave. That's what you get paid for. Smile and wave.

No comments: